Skip to content

St Agnes Church

About St Agnes Church

Designed by architect Isaac Jones, this thatched church with wooden bell turret was built in 1908 on land in Freshwater Bay donated by Hallam Tennyson, son of the Victorian poet laureate Alfred, Lord Tennyson. Made of stone from an old farmhouse on Hooke Hill, Freshwater – the birthplace of the natural philosopher, architect and polymath Robert Hooke, it is the only thatched church on the Island.